The Virginia Star Quality Initiative was created to help parents and caregivers find high quality child care programs throughout Virginia. Each program that participated was given a star rating, from one to five stars.
We would like to thank every family child care home, preschool and child care program that demonstrated their commitment to quality early education by participating in the Virginia Star Quality Initiative.
To view a list of rated programs, please click here.
Programs that chose to participate in the Virginia Star Quality Initiative were rated on many factors including:
- Is the staff qualified? Do they have a degree in early childhood? Do they go to workshops to continue their training?
- How do the teachers interact with your child? Do they talk with your child? Do they support your child's social and emotional growth? How do they discipline children? Do they have a positive attitude towards the children? Do they encourage children to learn and be creative?
- How many children are in the classroom or the family child care program? How many teachers or assistant teachers are in the classroom?
- How is the classroom furnished? What kinds of activities are offered? Are there materials for children to do art, read, play dress-up, or play music? Is it clean? Do the children get to play outside?
- How do they help get your child ready for school?
To learn more about how star ratings were assigned, please review the Standards for Classroom-Based Programs and Standards for Family Child Care Homes.